Looking for a cheaper more effective alternative for controlling Azolla filiculoides (water fern)? Look no further - AzollaControl from CABI offers you a comprehensive natural control option for managing this most noxious of weeds.
AzollaControl makes use of the North American, weevil Stenopelmus rufinasus. This weevil is a highly effective natural enemy of Azolla filiculoides. The weevil, which can only feed and reproduce on Azolla, has proven to be an effective biological control agent in laboratory and field trials in South Africa as well as in the UK.
Advantages of using the weevils
• no need for licensing or personal protective equipment
• it is selective, removing only Azolla, unlike current licensed chemical herbicides
• can control any size of infestation given time
• little or no maintenance is required after release
• inexpensive, environmentally friendly alternative
• controls Azolla throughout the growing season
• can be applied by one operator
• can be used as a precautionary application the moment Azolla appears
Who uses weevils from CABI for control of Azolla?
All sorts of organizations and clubs have successfully used weevils from CABI, for example:
CABI is an international not-for-profit organization that improves people’s lives by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment.